I hope the SFD 2011 preparation is going on.
Here I narrated the list of stalls which will be helpful to the public and students.
If you are newbie to sfd and have interest to put stalls,
then the following list may gives you an idea about it.
There are two ways to put stall. 1. Easy way, 2. Medium way.
Easy way not even takes more than one hour to prepare to make stall.
How it means, if you know some thing / already used some tools means,
you can make stall by showing slide show / live demo.
Medium way means, it needs 2 or 3 people to be combined, need to spend few days
to execution it and need some more hardware resources.
Easy Way :
SFD goal is reach the foss to the public and students.
So first of all showcase them about what they already know in their M$ os for daily usage.
- What is FOSS/ GNU License,
- OO / Libre Office Word, Spread Sheet, Presentation, Drawing
- Languages Introductions (including installation steps in the slides)
- Gcc, G++
- Ruby, JRuby
- Python, Jython, Cython
- Java (Explain about how to setup/install java. Most of newbies dont know about this)
6. Language Frameworks Introductions
7. Data Bases with GUIs and Shell
- Mongo DB
8. DB Connections from languages
- phpMyadmin (GUI)
- DB connections Python, Ruby, Perl, Php scripts
9.CMS (Content Management Systems)
- gedit with its plugins for developers
- Auto word completion
- Showing in side panel of Python Syntax Error and disobeying PEP8 rules (from ubuntu 11.04)
- Other languages advantages in gedit
- Its advantage over languages
11.Version Controls (both gui & commands)
- Subversion (bleeding edge)
- more (show demos by make live changes in images (gimp), audio/video partial edited files and make changes in text files)
13.Video Players Audio & Video editing tools
14. 3D Compiz effects live demo and its videos
15. OS Distributions (ubuntu, fedora, centOs, debian, BSD, etc)
16. KDE environments and its tools
17. Gnome environments and its tools
18. Live CD Live Installation (or slide)
19. Famous FOSS Tools Like
- K3b (Dvd/cd writer) and more
- 2D games for kids
- 3D games like
- Open Arena
- Alien Arena
- more 
21. Education Tools
- Physics & Electronics Simulations
- circuits connections simulation (search in net)
2.Chemistry Simulations (search in net)
3.Biology more(Last time Jaya College students showed demo of all these edu tools)
22. FireFox Addons Demo (If wifi/Internet dongle available)
- Download Helpers
- Live download by firefox addons (in simple way)
- Twitter connections/post from firefox
- WordPress posts from firefox
23. Tamil in ubuntu / fedora
- Full ubuntu environment in tamil
- Tamil Key board layouts (both tamil unicode and symphony[english to tamil] type writer)
All the above are very basics only. Where ever I mentioned “more”, you can get it more ideas by searching in Internet.
and if you want to know about available specific tools means (for eg education tools, physics, chemistry, etc) I suggest
you to open the Ubuntu Software Centre or synaptic package manager.
You will get more detailed info about available packages/software tools.
Medium Way :
- Multiple Desktops (Single CPU, multi monitors, multi keyboards, multi mouse)
- Thin Client Demo
- Heart Beats Demo
- MySql heart beat
Big Blue Button (Lan audio/video/text chat & remote presentation) VLC (Video Lan Connection demo by making lan video streaming)
Arduino Robotics Demo Blender (3D animation maker) more
You can bring your project (if that has done by foss ) and you make stall.
If you want to make stall in sfd means, please mail to list or the MIT students to allot stall for you.
Previous years SFD links :
SFD by ILUGC
SFD by Jaya Engg College :
SFD by Kanchilug :
From the above links, you can collect the details like,
how to prepare for SFD stalls and how to organize it.
I hope this helps you to make stalls in SFD ’11.
If you have any ideas to make SFD’11 as grand event, you are welcome to share it.
If you have any idea to put stalls in ILUGC SFD’11, please add your stall details in the ilugc wiki page here.