I have read about the MetPy from the ECMWF http://www.ecmwf.int/ .
MetPy = Meteorological Python
Few words about ECMWF :
They are using
- Perl language to created web application to serve the auto generated plots for both intranet & internet (in the above link)
- Python language to do diagnostics
- Magics or MetView to do plot
- Serving around 24,000 images per day
Few words about MetPy :
A high level library called MetPy is being
developed. It currently offers:
- an abstract definition of meteorological data and fields,
- GRIB decoding, coding and field computation,
- Field sorting and indexing,
- ODB access using its NetCDF file export facility,
- core score computing (rmse, ancf, stddev, mean), on a weighed grid and limited areas,
- access to Verify scores (backwards compatibility) ,
- interface with Magics,
- interface with PCMS,
- everything available in open source.
Example Program of MetPy usage :
>>> from MetPy import *
>>> an = FieldSet( ‘an.grib’ )
>>> fc = FieldSet( ‘fc.grib’ )
>>> cl = FieldSet( ‘climatology.grib’ )
>>> bi = FieldSet( ‘biases.grib’ )
>>> scores = Scores( fc-cl+bi,
area = verify_config[ 'europe' ] )
>>> print scores.correlation( )
>>> print scores.rmse( )
Few Application of MetPy :
- Currently a typical experiment diagnostics is being written on ocean data.
- compare ocean observation profiles with experiment fields and generate statistics.
MetPy Utilities :
- The Date class is a primordial building block as computations on dates are always needed particularly in diagnostics & verification.
- Configuration tools are also important, once your library can read configuration files with sufficient flexibility, you can introduce parametrisation from the begin-ning of any new development.
MetPy Source Link :
Presentation Link :
It contains about ECMWF & little core about MetPy
- MetPy Meteo France also installed & running the MetPy.
- MetPy module has Fields, FieldSet, Ensemble, FieldIndex, Diagnostics.
I couldnt understand few meteorological terms in the MetPy. So I couldnt realize the more power of it.
What I understood from the example is metpy can calculate Scores, correlation, rmse & etc.,
I will post the CDAT Vs MetPy in upcoming posts in my blog.